Friday, September 24, 2010

All in the Family

These are the only facts that I knew about my family. My Grandmother only had one child. My mother. She had several miscarriages and the doctors told her she had to have a hysterectomy. When I first realized there was a problem with me I tried to talk to my G-ma about it, i wanted to know if there was any family history that I should know to tell the Drs. G-ma said no that it was nothing that is just what they did back then.
The other day I was talking to my G-ma and she tells me that she had cysts on her ovaries and the Dr.'s said that is probably why she had so many miscarriages and had to have a hysterectomy. OMG!!! Really!! I knew that I couldn't be the only one with PCOS. There are so many women in my family it just didn't make sense that no one else had PCOS. Of course no one knew what that was 60 + years ago, but I had asked my G-ma and my mom several times about G-ma's IF issues. My mom then tells me that G-ma's sister only had 2 children and it was very difficult for her to even have 2! Also my mom's cousin was told she couldn't have children. They adopted one and did actually get pg and have one child of their own. But no one will talk about what was wrong, what did the Dr's say ... nothing.
I just want to know that I am not a mutant in the family! It sometimes gets really hard when all of my sisters have so many children, and easily get pg. My mom does this healing prayer in her parish. People come from all over IN and OH to come see her and the other ministers here. She has wanted me to do the healing prayer because she thought that she was the reason that I have PCOS. She was such an emotional mess when she was pg with me, she said she was near suicidal. This was when she found out my father was having an affair and was basically going to leave her with nothing and 5 children to care for. So when I found out about my G-ma I told my mom that its just what I knew it had to be.. It's hereditary! Everywhere I read says that a women who has PCOS also has a grandmother, mother, or sister who also has PCOS.
I just wanted to know where it came from! Now I do, and as soon as we get insurance again I'll be able to give all the facts to my Dr.

Oh, and BTW E got a job!!! whoo whooo! It doesn't pay as much as we'd like, but it's a start and we are very blessed that he was able to get a job so quickly. Thank you all who prayed for us. :)

3 comments:

WheelbarrowRider said...

Congrats on the job! I understand not wanting to feel alone. Unfortunately I am surrounded by IF. My mom had a miscarriage, my sister had two, another sister had two and bad endo, and my little sister looks to have endo now too. Even though it is hard that we have all suffered this, at least we can all relate to some extent to the pain. What they can't relate to is doctors and treatments b/c none of them really had anything but a lap for endo. They just kept trying and eventually had 3 kids each.

My Heart Exults... said...

Congrats on finding the link...and a job! The only family history I have to link me to IF and PCOS is a great-aunt that only had one kid after years of trying. No one knows why or what was wrong because they "didn't talk about it back then". Lesson learned for future generations: talk about health issues! But I sure know how you feel about being the mutant in the family. I've always considered myself the alien - I feel like I'm on another planet most of the time! Ha! Again, congrats on the job :)

Leila @ Little Catholic Bubble said...

That is so interesting! My mom's side (and my mom) has a history of endo, PCOS, and infertility. For unknown reasons, I was spared, even though I have a history of ovarian cysts.

I am so glad E got a job!!!