Friday, July 13, 2012

Yes I did have my baby!

Wellllll... lot's have changed around here, not sure about this new blog look that's going on. Of course not sure how long ago it changed b/c I havn't been on here in a very very long time. But for those of you that are still interested, I did have my baby girl! lol She was born 2 weeks early on April 2nd. The laast few weeks of my pregnancy were really hard on me. Actually the entire pregnancy was hard on me. I was just wiped out the entire time! My stomach was huge! That's really the main place that I gained weight, my amniotic fluid was at the high end but not dangerous. I had gotten to the point where I could no longer drive b/c it hurt to sit in the car, btw we had a lovely little sports car that we had to get rid of, so sad, but worth it :) Sunday April 1'st I couldn't even get up to go to Mass, I just felt horrible. That night my sister made me come over to her house for dinner b/c E was out of town for work, her husband made a delicious chicken that I could barely eat. We joke that it was the chicken that made me go into labor~ ! lol I went home after, I realized there was something dripping down my leg. I thought I peed myself untill I looked down and saw blood. I started at that point to freak out!! I still hadn't realized what was going on, but knew that blood was one of those things the Dr's told me to call them for. Then I reached to gather my nightgown and realized it was soaking wet. I was pretty sure my water had broke, but never having had this happen before, I wasn't positive. I was crying and freaking out, b/c I was alone first of all, and second I didn't have anything ready! I changed my clothes and text my sister who lives down the street to call me asap. I tried to remember everything I read about what to put in your hospital bag and shoved everything in! I was going to get everything ready that week b/c I still had 2 more weeks! My sister called me back said to call the hospital and she would be right over.. I was kinda still thinking "what if this is a false alarm?" you know you see that all the time in the movies. So I called the hospital, they wanted to know who my primary doc was and would have the doc on call, call me. Well, I'm waiting for my phone to ring, I'm crying and txt E that I was going to the hospital b/c my water broke. Then the Doc calls me, and I wasn't sure what was going on, but I couldn't hear him at all! I thought my phone was messed up but finally was able to hear him. It just happend to be my doc! thank goodness, I said Doc it's me my water broke! he say's "who is this?" omg, I have to repeat myself 3 times, and finally he says oh, ok well get to the hospital. wow. I find out later that he was sleeping at that time and the nurses said he is always out of it like that when he gets those calls. He also later apologized for being so groggy. My sister gets me to the hospital, my husband calls me and tells me he is on his way. I'm not feeling anything but the water drip down my legs. Let me tell you something, having your water break is GROSS!!!! really it is. How come no one tells you things like that? Actually the entire time I was in the hospital I felt gross. I wasn't having contractions, so they put me on the pitosin (which I did not want to have, but felt forced into) and I held out as long as I could to get the epi. I was a crying mess once the contractions started gaining force. But E got there and was amazing with me. He let me do what I needed to get threw the pain, and prayed with me and held my hand the entire time. So at 6:32 pm my little Gemma was born! We did have some problems right away though. Gemma was born with an imperforate anus, and the hospital we were at wasn't prepped for this kind of thing, so they imediatley took her away from me and had her transported to the local children's hospital. Neither E or I could go with her that night, and were told that she wouldn't be seen untill the morning, so there was nothing we could do. They just wanted her put on IV's right away b/c if she didn't have the hole to poo out of I couldn't feed her. What we found out was that her body did compensate for the anus not forming, by creating a fistula right above her anus so she could go poo. She was in the hospital for 3 days. I wasn't alowed to leave my hospital untill 9am the morning after I had her. Let me tell you how awefull it is to be going through all this emotional crap, and not having a moment to rest and realax after the ordeal of giving birth! I was on pain meds b/c I had a tear, and my hormones were just out of controll. I couldn't hold my baby and wasn't sure at first what the heck was going on. Luckily Gemma had a "mild" version of this malformation, so it could have been a lot worse. When she was 5 weeks old Gemma had surgury to recreate her anus. She had the muscles and her intenstines were in the right place, so the surgury went quickly and easily. Well, easily for the surgeons. That was an ordeal that I wouldn't wish upon anyone. Gemma wasn't alowed to eat from noon the day before her surgury untill 5 days after! The day before after I fed her the last time, they put her on an IV that basically was a laxitive, b/c she needed to be completely cleaned out for the surgery. She cried and cried untill she couldn't cry anymore. She was dehydrated and so sad, I couldn't stop crying myself. For the next 5 days we lived at the hospital. She was put on fluids and then they added fats to her IV's so she didn't lose any weight. It was the worst week of my life. my poor little baby had to go through so much in her short little life. But she is now healed up completely and we just have to keep making sure that the hole doesn't scar over, and as long as she is pooping every day, we don't have to worry about anything. Gemma is now a happy little 3 month old, who is smiling and laughing almost all the time. Except when she has gas or is tired! lol So. that's my story. I'm trying to get back on here, but some day's it's hard to even check FB! I'm slowly getting caught up on everyone's blogs, sorry I've been away...

6 comments:

Be Not Afraid said...

Wow, that is quite the ordeal. Congratulations on the baby and surviving.

Sunshine said...

I am so sorry you had to go through all that and see your little girl suffer.

I am happy she is doing well now.

Hebrews 11:1 said...

Glad you are back and that your little girl is better now! What a scary ordeal, so glad she made it through okay.

Awaiting a Child of God:) said...

So so glad to hear from u!!! I cannot imagine being alone w my water breaking!!! You were brave:) so happy to hear sweet Gemma is doing so well!

St. Rita's Roses said...

CONGRATS!! What a nightmare! I am so sorry- poor Gemma. SO happy to hear from you. are you gonna see pics??????

All in His Perfect Timing said...

Wow! I am so sorry you had to go through all of that .. but what a fighter you are for Gemma! I would be scared out of my mind! I'm glad Gemma is doing OK and has had surgery to help make her all better. It must be so hard to see your baby in pain. :-(