Thursday, August 23, 2012

Teething!!

Oh boy, we've had one beastly moment after another around here! Poor Gemma. She is teething and it's not going well. First we had to deal with her crying all the time because it hurt her to poo before her surgery. Now her teeth hurt and she is not happy! Naps are not happening around here this week. We went to the park a few times to meet up with friends and both times we had to leave early because of Gemma crying out in pain. She won't sleep during the day, and it's making her act even worse because she's over tired too. She has been sleeping all night except to nurse once, for almost 2 months now. But this week she has been getting up twice during the night to nurse. Gemma is drooling like crazy! If she weren't mine I'd think it was gross :) nothing we have tried is helping her that much. She doesn't like those hard teethers and she will chew/suck on a cold rag for a while but cries after a few min. I don't know what to do to help her! Do any of you have any tips? I'll try almost anything at this point. I don't know how long this is going to last either. Her bottom gums are a little white but it doesn't look like a tooth is going to pop in for a while. How long is this process??

6 comments:

Hebrews 11:1 said...

Maybe one of those amber teething necklaces? I've heard those are good. Or a softer teething toy like Sophie the giraffe? Do teething tablets/tylenol help?

Suzie-Q T-Pie said...

Hebrews: we do have a Sophie that she loves, but doesn't help with the crankiness. I am getting that Baltic amber necklace to c if that works, and I'll try the Teething tablets. We don't like giving her medicine b/c she has already had so much in her system I worry about what it's all doing to her.

St. Rita's Roses said...

Ok, from what I was told and my experience, it can last from a 5 days to a few weeks.

Michael was so tough, I thought he was a different baby- bottoms came thru fine, the tops have been h.e.l.l! I know you dont want to give meds, but tylenol and motrin are so helpful is dealing with there pain- just think you having a toothache- a severe one- you need pain meds...Also, I would put baby oralgel on his gums 20-30mins before feeedins, my issue was michael did not want to eat b/c of his fussiness and pain.

I have two teething necklaces that he likes...but this a 5-7 min fix. pains meds!!!

Meredith said...

We used Gripe Water with our youngest when she was an infant for Colic and teething. It's completely natural and can be found at any baby store. The drops will help calm and relax your baby.

Suzie-Q T-Pie said...

Meredith, we have been using the gripe water and it's working! I love that it's all natural thanks everyone for the advise!

Joy Beyond the Cross said...

I am right there with you. Elizabeth has been teething for what seems like forever!! I totally thought she would be an early teether at around 4 months, but now she is over 8 months and still not one single tooth has popped through, but her gums are so swollen, and she drools and gnaws on anything in site. And we are singing the "no nap blues" around here as well...literally. Just know that I commiserate. I hope things get better soon for little Gemma!